Sunday, October 10, 2021

My Story

 For most of my life I have struggled with mild depression and especially anxiety, but never to the point that I’ve been disabled with it. My depression mostly causes a lack of motivation at times, and my anxiety sometimes makes it hard to concentrate and tends to raise my blood pressure.

 Over the years my primary care doctors have raised the possibility of medication for my anxiety, but I usually refused. About ten years ago, though, I decided to try a low-dose anti-anxiety med, and it seems to have helped.

Until I was in my thirties or forties I knew very little about mental illness. My idea of depression was a feeling of sadness, usually associated with some disappointment or loss, like failing a test or losing a friend or family member to cancer.

That all changed, though, when my husband confided in me that he had struggled with depression and anxiety since high school. I think we had been married about 10 years by that time, but I had had no clue about his struggles. I found it hard to understand what he was going through, and I had no idea how to help him.

From that point on, I made it my mission to find out all I could about mental illness and how to help someone who is struggling. I researched online; I read books; I joined several support groups; I attended seminars; and I got trained in Mental Health First Aid.

In this blog I hope to share some of the “wisdom” I’ve gained over the years through my research. I will state right now that I am no expert. I am just someone who is passionate about mental health. My goal is to help spread awareness, to do whatever I can to make a difference in the lives of those who struggle, and to encourage others to do the same.

You can help me with this mission by following and sharing this blog and by doing your own research. In future blogs I’ll be posting links to various websites that have helpful information about mental health. If we all work together, we can make a difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mental Health First Aid

 Another training program that I highly recommend is Mental Health First Aid, from the National Council for Mental Wellbeing (formerly the N...